Discover Swarthmore provides an all-expenses-paid visit to one of the best liberal arts colleges in the country. The program provides students with a taste of the college experience, including the opportunity to meet other prospective students, learn from faculty members, eat in our dining hall, and spend a few nights in our residence halls with student hosts.
This fall we are hosting Discover Swarthmore programs on September 13-15, 2018, and November 1-3, 2018.
Nomination and Selection CriteriaDiscover Swarthmore is open to all rising high school seniors, but the selection committee prioritizes applications from students with the following characteristics:
- Traditionally underrepresented groups (African-American, Hispanic/Latino/a, Native and Indigenous American, and Asian-American)
- First generation in their family to attend college
- Low-income students (Pell-eligible, free/reduced lunch, etc.), and students who might not otherwise be able to afford a trip to campus
- Rural and small town students
- Undocumented and DACA-eligible students
To nominate students who might be a good match for this opportunity, please submit our nomination form. We accept nominations from high school counselors, mentors, Community Based Organization advisors, teachers, and any person who works with a high-achieving student. Nominations are due by June 25, 2018. See your School Counselor if you want nominated to this program!
Swarthmore College HighlightsIf you’re not familiar with Swarthmore College, here are a few highlights:
- Swarthmore provides need-based financial aid that meets 100% of demonstrated need with loan-free financial aid awards. The average aid award for 2017-18 was $50,361.
- Small class sizes enable faculty to provide the support students need. We have 1,600 students, and nearly 40% of our classes have fewer than ten students.
- Located just outside Philadelphia, with a train station at the foot of campus, Swarthmore is only a 25-minute train ride from downtown.
- Swarthmore is consistently ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Next StepsIn April, we contact all nominated students to confirm their nomination. Students must complete a Discover Swarthmore application by July 16, 2018 to be eligible.