This fall we are hosting Discover Swarthmore programs on September 19-21, 2019, and October 29-31, 2019.
Nomination and Selection Criteria
Discover Swarthmore is open to all rising high school seniors. The selection committee prioritizes applications from students with the following characteristics:
- Underrepresented students (African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino/a, Middle Eastern and North African, and Native and Indigenous American)
- First generation in their family to attend college
- Low-income students (Pell-eligible, free/reduced lunch, etc.), and students who might not otherwise be able to afford a trip to campus
- Rural and small town students
- Undocumented and DACA-eligible students
Please nominate students who might be a good match for this opportunity by submitting our online nomination form. We accept nominations from high school counselors, mentors, community-based organization advisors, teachers, and any person who works with a high-achieving student. Nominations are due by June 17, 2019.
Swarthmore College Highlights
- Swarthmore provides need-based financial aid that meets 100% of determined need with loan-free financial aid awards. The average aid award for 2018-19 was $52,814.
- Small class sizes enable faculty to provide the support students need. We have about 1,640 students, and nearly 75% of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Located just outside of Philadelphia, Swarthmore is about a 25-minute train ride from downtown.
- Swarthmore is consistently ranked among the top liberal arts and engineering colleges in the country.
The application is now live. After you submit a nomination, we will reach out to your student, indicating that we have received a counselor or advisor nomination. We will then ask the student to complete the program application by July 9, 2019. At the end of junior year and after the student submits the Discover Swarthmore application, we will ask the student to upload a final transcript to the application portal, which is also due July 9, 2019.
You may nominate as many students as you wish—just re-submit the form for each student. We also welcome applications from students who have not been nominated. If you would like to share this opportunity with your students, please print out and post this Discover Swarthmore flyer or you can click the link below to send a Tweet to your students: