Imagine a community where walls between disciplines are dissolved, so journalists collaborate with designers, architects with social researchers, media specialists with activists, poets with musicians.
Imagine an intellectual and creative haven that never has and never will settle for status quo.
The New School is just such a university community, attracting students from all over the world to its home in the heart of Greenwich Village.
The New School in New York City
Founded in 1919 by those who imagined a school that would rethink the purpose of higher education, today The New School offers more than 10,000 students areas of study across more than 135 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. No matter what area of study students pursue, they discover a unique form of creative problem solving that will forever change the way they investigate and create – relentlessly questioning convention, collaborating across disciplines, and taking risks.
For undergraduates, The New School offers programs in art and design, liberal arts, and the performing arts at: Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, and the College of Performing Arts, which includes Mannes School of Music, the School of Jazz, and the School of Drama.
What’s New at The New School
- We are pleased to announce that all students applying to traditional undergraduate programs for Fall 2016 will use the Common Application.
- Applicants to Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, Jazz, and Drama will follow a unified deadline schedule for Fall admission:
Early Action - November 1 (Parsons, Lang, and Drama)
Regular Decision - January 15
- Standardized test scores are optional for applicants to all undergraduate programs. Students who are neither native English speakers, nor study in a school where English is the language of instruction, must still submit the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
- The School of Jazz, School of Drama, and the Mannes College of Music have all come together as the College of Performing Arts. Mannes relocated to the Greenwich Village Campus, allowing for more opportunities for cross discipline collaboration and enhanced practice and performance facilities!
- The New School has a new look. Our new brand identity and original typeface, created by Pentagram, was unveiled in March 2015 and was designed to embody “the progressive mission of The New School” and represent “a technological advance in the art of type design.”