GirlGov, created by teen women for teen women, is designed to provide local girls with the opportunity to learn, first hand, about civics, youth advocacy, and leadership. The program will kick off this fall with a local retreat in September where participants will have the opportunity to meet other young women from southwest Pennsylvania who share their interest and passion for change. Together they will meet and learn from local female community leaders and elected officials. Throughout the programming year participants will meet twice a month to conceptualize and build their own social action campaigns. The program concludes with a trip to Harrisburg in late Spring. During this trip participants will shadow a state legislator and learn about current public policy issues impacting women and girls in our region.
The program is open to all girls entering 9th to 12th grade in the Fall of 2019 who live in Allegheny, Fayette, Greene, Washington, Beaver, Butler and Westmoreland Counties. There is no fee to participate. Transportation to and from GirlGov meetings, however,
is the participant’s responsibility.
New and past GirlGov participants are welcome to apply at www.GirlGov.org
Application Deadline is May 31, 2019
This year’s program promises to be our biggest and best yet! Participants will have opportunities to:
· Attend weekend retreats & monthly meetings with girls from across Southwest PA
· Interact directly with state and local elected officials
· Create and build their own social action campaigns
· Shadow their state legislator at the Pennsylvania State Capitol in Harrisburg
· Explore nonprofit and government sector career options
· Discuss issues affecting women and girls with leaders from the social, corporate, and public sector
· Become (more) involved in community civics
· Most of all — have fun!